Guide for dating in Somalia helps you to meet the best girls. This dating guide gives you tips how to date Somali women. You will learn rules where and how to flirt with local Somali girls. We advise how to move from casual dating to the relationship and find the real love. We also tell the best dating sites in Somalia. In this article below you will find more information where to meet and date girls in Somalia, Africa.
Girls in Somalia:
- Looks of girls: 4 / 5
- Attitude of girls: 4/ 5
- Loyalty of girls: 4 / 5
- Education level of girls: 3.5 / 5
Dating in Somalia:
- Chance of arranging dates: 3 / 5
- Casual dating culture: 3 / 5
- Online dating popularity: 2/ 5
Sex in Somalia:
- Women's sexual activity: 2 / 5
- One-night stands: 2/ 5
More about Somalia:
- Nightlife in general: 3 / 5
- Locals' English level: 3.5 / 5
- Budget per day: US$30 - $500
- Accommodation: US$10 - $300
- 1 Dating
- 2 Women
- 3 Sex
- 4 Best Places to Meet Single Girls
- 5 Relationship
- 6 Love
- 7 Marriage
- 8 Regions
- 9 Cities
- 10 See Also
Somalia, officially the Federal Republic of Somalia, is an independent country in the Horn of Africa. Ethiopia borders it to the west, the Gulf of Aden to the north, the Guardafui Channel and Somali Sea to the east, and Kenya to the southwest. The country has the longest coastline on Africa's mainland, and its terrain consists mainly of plateaus, plains, and mountains. There are hot conditions prevail year-round, with periodic monsoon winds and irregular rainfall. The country is home to a mostly young population, and this population includes many beautiful and friendly women. Dating local girls in the country is possible and varies according to the city or town that you are in.
The main traits that you will find when dating across the country include but are not limited to loyalty, protectiveness, respect, and the fact that the girl will, in most cases, expect you to be loyal to her as well. Mogadishu is the capital city and home to the highest percentage of the urban population. The capital city is also home to the majority of the younger, aged between 20 and 35.
As opposed to the previous dating culture, which was more rooted in traditional culture and strictly had to lead to marriage, the dating culture has become more flexible, with the majority of the younger women (below 26) dating for fun and pleasure as opposed to strictly looking for a husband. Many of these girls are just looking for a new relationship where they can experience new things before they settle down and have kids.
The dating culture varies according to which part of the country you are in. Large cities have the busiest dating scene as they are home to most women in their early 20s. Here the women are more open to casual dating as well as sex before marriage. In smaller towns, it is quite possible to date casually, but because there are fewer men, most women are looking for something more serious and committed.
The country is still a bit conservative, so kissing and other forms of touching in public may be considered indecent exposure and could even result in you paying a fine should you be spotted by law enforcement.
Dating in Somalia can be a bit tricky due to not knowing if you have a solid connection, so your best bet is to sign up for a dating site before you venture to the night club or bar, so you can meet a few locals ahead of time. AdultFriendFinder.com lets you meet local members in Somalia and get to know them on a personal basis before you meet in person. Take advantage of site features like live chat and member to member webcams so you can begin flirting before arranging a face-to-face meeting.
Most of the women in Somalia are what could be called 'classic beauties.' They are mostly light in complexion and have the typical curvy bodies that are associated with African women. Somalia is home to millions of beautiful women, with the majority being Black Africans. The country has several ethnic groups, of which the majority are the Somali. The country has very few white people and also a few people of mixed heritage.
As is familiar with any place in the world, these women tend to vary when it comes to their personalities. The women in Somalia are, in most cases, amiable and welcoming. They enjoy entertaining tourists as they are usually not very many of them. Some of them are timid and strictly subscribe to their cultural beliefs, especially those found in remote or rural areas. The official languages, which are used for education and business, are Somali and Arabic. English is also another language that is widely spoken and taught.
Somali Girls (age 18 - 29)
The women in this age group can be further split into two. 19 to 25-year-olds are usually either still in University or just starting their careers. These girls are still rather young and are not looking to be tied down by serious commitment and are therefore dating for fun. They tend to be dating to explore and experience before deciding what type of man they want to marry.
Mogadishu and Borama are home to the most extensive University population and are, therefore, the places to be if you are looking for fun relationships. These girls can be found mostly at University campuses, malls, and nightclubs. However, not all girls of this age group are looking for fun. Some, especially the highly religious ones, are looking to settle down soon after college. Therefore, you should take the time to get to know the girl and her expectations from an early stage so as not to be disappointed.
Women aged between 26 and 29 are, in most cases, now in the 'settling down' stage of their lives. In most cases, these women have lived and enjoyed their youth and established themselves in their careers. The next step, therefore, naturally becomes to settle down and start a family. Women at this stage become picky and no longer just date for fun, but start to look at factors such as emotional, financial, and mental stability.
Girls in this age group are generally considered as being hot as they are still in their prime. You are most likely to find an exciting and eventful relationship with women from this age group than any other age group.
Somali Women (age 30 - 45)
Women in this age group are mature and are, in most cases, highly professional women who have been seriously focused on building their careers and securing financial independence. In some cases, the women in this age group are divorced and probably not be looking for anything too serious. However, because they are now mature, many women in this age group are looking to settle down.
With age comes experience, and therefore these women tend to know exactly what they want. This includes in the bedroom as well. These women tend to know what they want and thus make for steady partners. Finding a mature lady in Somalia is rare but entirely possible. The majority of these women are married and have families. However, there are a few who are single and willing to spend their time enjoying with younger men. It is common to meet most of these cougars online either on regular dating sites or on specific websites where sugar mommas are searching for younger men.
Somali Ladies (age 45+)
Most women in this age group are married women, and therefore chances of dating them are low. They are mothers, and in some cases, grandmothers and dating tend to be the last thing on their minds. Women in this age group who are dating tend to be looking for someone to grow old with; therefore, most of them have no time for flings and relationships that are not going anywhere. However, a few of them are open to casual dating, even with younger men. It is easier to find those who are open to casual dating on online dating sites such as Tinder or rare occasions in bars.
Foreign Girls (tourists, expats, students, etc.)
Somalia is not a very popular tourist destination, and the country is one of the least visited countries in Africa. The country has a corrupt political history, civil wars, terrorism threats, and severe health issues such as ebola, which discourage tourists. This, therefore, means that there is a very low possibility of meeting foreign girls.
Due to the current economic state of the country, the number of international students has relatively decreased. However, there are international students from nearby African countries. As is the norm with university students, some of them could be open to having fun and can be found in areas that are frequented by university students.
Somalia is not a popular place for ex-pats to settle down. The country has suffered from political instability and lack of infrastructure for a while now, which has led to a rather low employment rate; therefore, very few people move there. Despite being politically unstable, the country has an abundant supply of oil, which has provided the country with a degree of prosperity. However, there is an unequal distribution of oil revenue nationwide. Therefore foreigners are bound to settle in the more prominent and more productive cities. This, therefore, means that a relationship with an international visitor is probably going to be short-lived.
It is impossible to give one specific answer on what sex with Somali women is like. Your sexual experience will vary depending on the type of person you end up with and your skills as the man. However, it is essential to note that most Somali women are still undergoing genital mutilation, as culture believes that it is sinful for a woman to have sexual desires.
Unlike previous generations in which even talking about sex was taboo, the current generation has a more open attitude towards sex, and women have increasingly become sexual beings. Most girls grow up planning to remain virgins until they get married, but as they grow older and experience life, most of them tend to have lost their virginity by the age of 21. As much as the girls may no longer be virgins, casual sex is still frowned upon, and therefore many people tend to shy away from it, sticking strictly to sex with the person that they are dating. However, religion still influences many girls, and they manage to hold on to their virginity.
In most cultures, women are expected to be virgins when they get married and might be expected to undergo virginity tests. This, however, does not necessarily discourage all the girls from being sexually active. The sexual experience itself tends to differ with the individual, based on numerous factors such as cultural experiences, experience, and the general character of the individual. Also, with the aid of the internet, many women have become self-taught experts in sex. In the case of a general nature, some women might be more willing to explore new things than others as they are more open while others are more shy and conservative.
There has been quite a noticeable difference with regards to attitudes towards sex over the last few decades. The concept of one-night stands is no longer as taboo as it used to be. It is quite possible to go out and have fun, which could lead to a no strings attached one-night-stand experience. This practice is especially common with the younger college-going age group as they try to live life and enjoy the college experience. These women are at the stage where they enjoy having fun, and once in a while, a one-night stand is considered harmless.
However, even though the stigma against one-night stands has been reduced, there are still judgments for having one. Most people would prefer to either not have a one-night stand or to hide that they are into them as they are afraid of the judgments that they might be exposed to as some people consider those who partake of one night stands as lacking in morals.
Best Places to Meet Single Girls
The easiest and fastest way to meet single girls is probably in person at functions and bars and nightclubs. To catch the girls' attention, you need to be charming and sweet and create a fantastic first impression. It is best to avoid approaching girls on the street as they tend to find that disrespectful. It is best to contact women in places where they are comfortable and in the mood to be friendly. These places include the mall, movie houses, and for the most part, at nightclubs or gatherings such as parties.
As is expected in this technological era, dating apps have become quite popular for meeting single girls fast. Most people struggle when it comes to meeting people face to face and striking up a conversation. This has led to numerous people creating profiles on dating apps as they make it easier to meet like-minded people who are interested in starting a relationship. The most common dating app that is used by single people in Somalia is Tinder. AfroRomance is another popular dating site, and it helps to connect singles from all across the globe and helps them find true love. The database is home to a database of members from all different ethnic groups and promotes interracial dating. These apps are quite easy to download and are mostly free of charge to use.
Outdoor locations are a great place to meet single girls throughout the country, especially in tourist hubs. A national park is a perfect place to meet girls who are fun-loving and, in most cases, ready for a holiday fling. This is because university girls like to go to these places for girls' trips and could be open to making new connections.
Bars, Pubs and Nightclubs
Drinking alcohol and partying has become the number one past-time for the current generation, which rings true in Somalia. A vast majority of the alcohol consumed in the Republic is made locally, and this, therefore, it is relatively cheap, which could be an advantage to visitors from outside. Alcohol consumption and purchasing are restricted to people under 18.
Nightclubs, as well as bars and pubs, are common places to meet girls. If you are looking for a girl to have a short and fun fling with, probably with no strings attached or maybe even a one-night stand, then nightclubs are your best bet. This is perhaps because of the general environment in nightclubs, which barely allows people to make a genuine connection. Bars and pubs have an environment where it is easier for people to talk and get to know each other, and this could lead to a much more stable and serious relationship as opposed to a casual hookup.
Until recently, the nightlife in Somalia was dead. Somalia has very few cities that are considered a buzzing nightlife in terms of partying and clubbing. The top party cities are Mogadishu and Borama. Most nightclubs have a no under 18 entrance policy, and they tend to ask for identification before entering to avoid underage drinking.
Best Clubs in Somalia
- Nasashada Jimcaha, Mogadishu – This is a cozy and casual club in the city. It is the most popular club and well-liked for its top quality service. The club is comfortable enough for people to hang out in groups. Frequently mainly by the upper class of society.
- 𝐇𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐢𝐝 𝐀𝐫𝐭𝐬, Mogadishu – It is very popular with students due to its rather low prices. It is quite a famous disco club where people can dance until the sun comes up. The club is casual with not many restrictions and probably also the number one hookup spot in town. The club is also famous because it opens early at 6 pm. Therefore, those who want to start their night early have a place to hang out.
- Tiyaatarka Qaranka Soomaaliya, Mogadishu – It is the city's number one sports club. The younger population frequents it as it has a pool table and bowling.
- Curubo shop, Borama- is another famous night club. It is quite beautiful and has a lovely terrace for those who want to experience the night air.
- Peace and love- this nightclub is quite popular with groups. It is closed on Saturdays and opens Sundays at 9 am.
The country has very few malls that could be considered an exciting place to hang out with friends or go shopping. Most cities generally just have a city center in which you can find all the shops that you need. Malls of note are located in the capital city, and these are great places to meet people as friends go there to hang out and have fun. Malls provide a great platform to approach girls – even if it's just to get a phone number.
Malls in the Republic of Congo:
- Rugsan Mall, Mogadishu- this is the biggest mall in the city with multiple shops inside. It is also a great place to relax and hang out, as there are several restaurants and coffee shops.
- Sacadadiin Mall, Hargeisa, is the best shopping mall in Hargeisa Somaliland, with an exquisite modern design. There are plenty of shops selling quality goods like furniture and clothing. It is easily accessible and has a reputation for having excellent service.
- Al Macruuf Shopping Centre, Bosaso- the mall is known for having the best supermarket in the town. It is open 24 hours, making it very convenient for the people of the city if they need emergency supplies.
Somalia has a beautiful outdoor experience to offer. The country has many exciting activities that can be carried out outdoors. The country is home to many natural cornerstones, which you can explore and enjoy. These places attract thousands of tourists, both local and international, per year, and are rather amazing places to meet people or go for dates.
Listed below are some of the best outdoor destinations across the country.
- Secondo Lido Beach is a beach located in the Capital city of Somalia, surrounded by ruined buildings. It was initially developed in the late 1930s for the Italian colonists living in the capital. The Italian administration developed it in the 1950s by enlarging a nearby hotel. However, after prolonged decades of war and anarchy in the capital, from 1991, the beach fell into disuse, and a terrorist attack destroyed the hotel. Today, hundreds of families come to relax on the coastline each weekend. People stay out at Lido Beach way past dusk to watch the beautiful night skyline and the deep blue ocean. This is a perfect place to get the fresh perspective of a rediscovered Somalia of Italian Somalia.
- Naasa Hablood, also known as Virgin's Breast Mountain, are twin hills situated in Maroodijeex, Somaliland. They are located on the outskirts of the city of Hargeisa and are made of granite and sand. The name Naasa Hablood came from their distinctive conical shape and resemblance to the old breast buds.
- Laas Geel is cave formations on the rural outskirts of Hargeisa, Somaliland. They are situated in the Maroodi Jeex region of the country. They contain some of the earliest known cave paintings of domesticated African aurochs in the Horn of Africa. Laas Geel's rock art is estimated to date somewhere around circa 4,000 BC or 7,000 years ago.
Universities and Colleges
Tertiary education is quite popular across Somalia, and the country has thirty-three universities as well as several technical colleges and teacher training centers. Some of the universities have smaller campuses across the country.
- Jaamacadda SIMAD (SIMAD University) is a non-profit private higher education institution located in the urban setting of the metropolis of Mogadishu that was established in 1999. It is officially accredited and recognized by the Minister of Education, Culture and Higher Education, Somalia. Jaamacadda SIMAD (SU) is a small coeducational higher education institution formally affiliated with the Islamic religion. Jaamacadda SIMAD (SU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. This 20 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on students' past academic records and grades. The admission rate range is 60-70% making this Somali higher education organization a somewhat particular institution. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.
- Jaamacadda Muqdisho (Mogadishu University) is a non-profit private higher education institution located in the urban setting of the metropolis of Mogadishu that was established in 1997. It is officially accredited and recognized by the Minister of Education, Culture and Higher Education, Somalia, and is a small coeducational higher education institution. Jaamacadda Muqdisho (MU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e., certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation degrees), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. This 23 years old higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic records and grades. The admission rate range is 50-60% making this Somali higher education organization an averagely selective institution. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment.
- Jaamacada Kismaayo (Kismayo University) is a non-profit private higher education institution located in the urban setting of the small city of Kismayo that was established in 2005. It is officially accredited and recognized by the Minister of Education, Culture and Higher Education, Somalia. Jaamacada Kismaayo (KU) is a tiny coeducational higher education institution, with under 250 students. Jaamacada Kismaayo (KU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees, such as bachelor degrees in several areas of study.
Relationships, in general, are complicated, and there are no written rules that could, in any way, guarantee their success. Dating in Somalia is quite exciting as there are many activities that you can do as a couple and many people you can visit. There are a variety of girls from different ethnicities who view dating in different ways. There is enough culture to explore as a couple. There are numerous world-class coffee shops, restaurants, hotels in the country, and the right entertainment industry. Local artists have many concerts and performances in different cities that you can attend as a couple, which could make date nights even more exciting as they involve dancing.
There are a variety of girls who have different expectations from the guys they are dating. The significant expectations across the board are loyalty, faithfulness, and the ability to treat your girl like she is special. In return, you will discover that the average girls are loyal, loving, and passionate about finding love. Exploring a beautiful city has many exciting thrills – even for local people who have lived there their whole lives. Furthermore, there is a rich history and an increasing willingness for people to date cross-culturally.
Holiday romances are quite rare in most parts of the country but are quite the norm in the top tourism hot spots. If a quick fling during your vacation is the thing you’re after, then your chances will be highest in the parts of the country where girls are used to the fact that guys are there for a short time and are therefore used to having short term relationships. In the calmer and smaller towns, the girls are more interested in long term relationships than a brief holiday fling. Second, there are many fun things to do, especially in tourist hubs with your girl. There are numerous national parks, lakes, and site seeing adventures throughout the country. There are also thrilling activities such as mountain climbing, game drives, zip lines in many parks, and boat cruises. If you are willing to put in the work, you are guaranteed to have a fantastic fling you will remember for a lifetime. The idea of dating a foreigner is somewhat intriguing to most girls, especially in their early to mid-twenties. This is probably because it makes for a great story to tell their friends later. Also, for some girls dating a foreigner can be seen as a way out of the country.
Tips for Successful Relationship
All relationships come with expectations from both sides. To create and maintain a successful relationship with a Somali woman, there are a few things that you can do, which will give you a leg up. Below is a list of some of the basic things that you can do:
- Offer to pay for the first date. This shows your intent and that you are a gentleman, willing to take care of a girl if that need arises. Most girls brought up with good manners will offer to contribute, but you must insist and take care of the bill. It is a strange but necessary custom.
- Be financially independent. In a country where poverty is a real issue, and minimum wage leaves you out on the street – literally – you will have to prove your ability to provide for yourself financially. This doesn't necessarily mean that you should be vibrant and flashy. It merely means that you should be able to afford a generally modest lifestyle and be ready to spoil her once in a while.
- African culture places mega emphasis on respect, especially of the older generations. Women are taught from a young age that a man who is unable to display respect for those older than them is probably incapable of resecting his woman. Therefore, they expect to see the man they are dating display levels of respect to the people around them. Also, the way you treat servers around you, be it waiters or security guards, says a lot about you. Being rude will not get you very far. If the girl takes you to meet her family, you should always be respectful. Although, in most cases meeting the family is quite a big step that is only taken when you are now considering marriage.
- Be creative when planning your dates. Try by all means to ensure that you keep the relationship exciting. There are many outdoor activities in Somalia, making the most of them give your girl a good time. Also, take advantage of the many fancy restaurants to give her a chance to get dressed up and treat her like the most important girl in the room.
Love is a rather complex concept, as there is no way of quantifying it. Many people have different ideas of what love is based on what they believe. Also, love languages vary according to each individual. Some girls believe gift-giving is a sign of love. Others believe that giving them attention is a sign of love. You need to get to know the love language of the person you are dating to make them feel loved and, therefore, secure in the relationship.
How to Make Sure She Is the One
Every girl is in love with the idea of love. From a young age, girls dream of meeting their ideal guy, falling in love, and getting married. However, with age and experience, most of them have been hurt, and they become cautious about falling in love. You should, therefore, be patient to show her that you are worth loving and trusting. If you do it right, you will be able to sweep her off her feet. The way a girl acts around you says a lot about how she feels about you. A woman who loves you will want to spend a lot of time with you and is protective of her territory. Somali women believe a lot in exclusive relationships, so you can rest assured that if she genuinely loves you, she will only be with you and expect the same from you. If a girl doesn't give you attention or demands yours, isn't willing to accommodate you and your needs, she is not the one.
A woman's age is also a determining factor on whether or not she's the one. In most cases, the younger women, those less than 25, are not ready to settle down, so if you are looking for a long-term commitment, you might be disappointed. However, it is not impossible to meet women who do want to marry young. This is merely the culture, so if you are dating around in the university age group and expecting something long-term, make sure you talk about it and that you're both on the same page. However, once girls get to their late twenties, they are usually ready to settle down.
You, as an individual, know what qualities you require from the woman you want to settle down with. Therefore, you can do self-introspection to decide if the dating person is truly the one for you.
Married life Somalia has evolved over the years to resemble that of most western societies. As opposed to the past, where women were only expected to be baby-making machines and take care of their husbands with no regard for themselves, modern marriages comprised career women who are still able to be homemakers. Some women, however, have no qualms with being housewives as long as they are well taken care of by their husbands. The family also plays a vital role in marriage. As much as a couple moves away, they are still expected to be part of each other's families.
A critical aspect of marriage, legally speaking, is that all marriages are in the community of property by default. This means that everything you have is shared equally amongst both spouses regardless of whose money was used to acquire it. If you are coming from another country and wish to safeguard your assets, consider this beforehand.
Weddings in Somalia important communal celebrations, and they tend to go all out. Traditionally, Somali wedding festivities last for three entire nights. On these three nights, there is plenty of singing, dancing, and celebrating on the part of the bride, groom, and guests. On some of these nights, women and men do not mingle or celebrate together; the men celebrate in one location while the women celebrate in a different site
It is customary for the bride, groom, and their families to arrange for a lavish feast for their guests at the reception. Different traditional and modern types of foods are usually served for the guests to enjoy as they carry on with the festivities. A further important tradition in Somali marriage is the exchanging of gifts. The exchange is normally done between the bride's family and groom's family and between the guests and the wedding couple. The couple exchanged gifts as a sign of appreciation.
When it comes to a marriage or long-term relationship, most Somali will agree that faithfulness and family orientation is paramount. There is a fine tradition of the family being the core of society, with the government encouraging the nuclear family as a model to follow. Extended family members are also quick to adopt spouses into the tribe. Couples need to try and build as well as maintain relationships with each other's families before marriage to avoid conflict.
Most couples start to have babies as soon as they get married, as it is a cultural expectation that by the end of the first year, there should be a baby. If you delay starting having children, they begin to suspect infertility issues, which are mostly blamed on the woman. However, some couples have started to shun this way of thinking and prefer to enjoy their marriage before they start having children. If a woman gets pregnant out of wedlock, there is family pressure to get married before anyone finds out to save the family from embarrassment.